This recipe dishes up all the images that the words spaghetti and meatballs promise. Soft, juicy meatballs, umami flavour, rich Italian-style sauce, clinging to the strands of spaghetti...oh my goodness. MOUTH WATERING!
It’s a pretty straightforward recipe that should take about 40 mins if you're organised. You will be saving this one in the weekly faves.
Ingredients: Serves 4
- 1 lightly packed cup of diced white sandwich bread , crusts removed
- 1 small brown onion
- 500 g pork and veal mince
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley , finely chopped
- 2 garlic minced cloves
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
COOKING MEATBALLS & SAUCE
- 2.5 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup brown onion, finely chopped
- 700 g tomato passata
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 3 tsp dried Italian herb mix (parsley, basil, thyme, oregano)
- 1 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- Pasta of choice
- Parsley, finely chopped (optional)
- Grate the onion using a standard box grater in a large bowl until you have about 1/2 cup of grated onion and juices.
- Add bread, mix to combine so the onion juice soaks the bread and disintegrates. Set aside while you prep the other ingredients (5 min or so).
- Add all the remaining Meatball ingredients. Use hands to mix well.
- Measure out a heaped tablespoon and roll lightly to form a ball. Repeat with remaining mixture. (Note 5)
- Heat 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil in a large non stick fry pan over medium high heat. Add the meatballs and brown all over - about 3 - 4 minutes.
- When they are browned but NOT cooked through, carefully transfer them onto a plate.
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil into the fry pan.
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes until translucent. Add the remaining Sauce ingredients. Bring to a simmer, then turn down to medium low so it bubbles gently rather than splattering everywhere.
- Carefully transfer the meatballs and any juices that have pooled on the plate into the Sauce.
- Cook the meatballs for 8 - 10 minutes, turning and stirring occasionally. Adjust Sauce salt and pepper to taste.
- While the meatballs are cooking, cook your pasta of choice.
- Serve the meatballs on pasta, garnished with extra parmesan and parsley if using.